I just signed up for Script Frenzy, which is the screenwriter’s version of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). The goal is to finish a script, start to finish, in 30 days. Which really isn’t that hard; every script I’ve written has been finished in less than a month. It’s only 100-110 pages, most of it dialogue.
I had big plans to pursue screenwriting when I moved to Southern California. But almost immediately after I moved here, I sold to Superromance and I’ve been caught up in that. Six books later, still no script. I’m hoping this will jump start me.
But I have no story in mind, and I must find one before April 1. That goal in mind, I consulted the Script Frenzy plot generator. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Tired of a monotonous day job, a single mom of six discovers the cure for a broken heart.
2. After a painful sneeze, a group of urban cannibals gets trapped in an elevator with Dr. Phil.
3. On a remote island, a guilty judge is kidnapped by the Russian mafia.
4. After losing one million dollars at the circus, a stoned principal is mistaken for Elton John and goes with it.
5. After winning the World Series, a wily group of drunken sportscasters rushes an elite southern sorority.
6. While studying for the SATs, a posse of snobby teen vampires sets out to shave a sasquatch.
7. Unable to find true love, a nuclear physicist with a broken heart accidentally eats a year’s supply of Viagra.
8. In the back of a pickup truck, an 80-year-old graffiti artist decides to rid the world of bad pop music.
Some of these are obviously not script-worthy. But others contain the seeds of workability. Snobby teen vampires trying to get into college is kind of funny. Drunken sportscasters mixing it up with an elite sorority–I could do something with that.
If you’d like to generate your own plots, go to scriptfrenzy.com. You don’t have to sign up to play with the generator. But why don’t you? Join me in the insanity!
BOOK GIVEAWAY: I’m giving away three Project Justice books: NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH, A SCORE TO SETTLE and OUTSIDE THE LAW (that’s the new one!). All you have to do is visit my facebook author page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kara-Lennox/181382008567736, “Like” it, and leave a comment somewhere on the page telling me so. If you’re already a fan, just leave a comment so indicating. I will draw a name from all the fans/commenters.