While I was speaking at the Ohio Fiction Writers Association this weekend, I did a workshop called “Plot Fixer: The 15 Most Common Plot Problems and How to Fix them.
I confess, I rip through this list at a blistering pace, and the workshop participants thought it would be helpful to have a list of the 15 Plot Problems.
So, here ya go!
1. Your premise isn’t compelling enough.
2. A cute meet does not a plot make.
3. Starting in the Wrong Place
4. A lack of clear-cut goals for your characters
5. Weak conflict
6. Too many conflicts–the “Kitchen Sink” approach
7. Stakes are too low
8. Plot moves too slowly (pacing problem)
9. The dreaded saggy middle
10. Plot moves too fast
11. Plot is too predictable
12. Plots that rely on coincidence and contrivance
13. Loss of Focus (lacking theme)
14. Weak black moment
15. The ending does not satisfy